Thursday, August 8, 2013

Todays’ Topics: Reducing Energy Costs, Summer Fun and Great Employees

Energy Saving

Carl recently emailed to inquire about how the City of Elyria is addressing energy costs.  Here is what I explained to him. The City of Elyria has entered into two cooperative purchasing agreements with North Shore Energy.  The first agreement was entered into in 2012 to purchase electricity for our larger consumers like wastewater treatment and the water plant.  This agreement saved the City $36,000 in 2012 and is expected to save the City $903,935 through 2015. 

I signed a second agreement last month with North Shore Energy for cooperative purchasing of natural gas.  The intent of this agreement is to lock in a cost for the City for three years, as the price of natural gas is expected to rise.  Forecasters are expecting natural gas prices to increase as Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) is exported and Compressed Natural gas (CNG) is used for truck fleets and other purposes.  In addition, new electric power plants are being constructed that run on natural gas.  This will create a huge demand.  By the City fixing the price for an extended period, we can remove the risk of volatility and allow for better budget planning.  While an analysis found that the City is likely to save $5,650 over the next three years – which is not much, without price-fixing we could see a much greater risk of escalating costs based on a historic look back at Natural Gas Commodity bare prices.      

More Summer Fun in Downtown Elyria

While the summer is winding down, the fun in Elyria Square continues in downtown Elyria.  Mark your calendars for the following upcoming events:
  • August 15:  Summer Concert from 11:30am – 1:00pm featuring Rich Gallo
  • August 30: An Evening of Bluegrass Music featuring local bands – 5:00pm - dusk
  • August 31: Warm-Up Music followed by the Cleveland Pops Orchestra – 5:00pm - dusk
  • September 1: St. Andrews Jazz & Blues festival – 1:00 – 7:00pm
  • September 20 – 22: Elyria Apple Festival
Don’t wait.  Start thinking about what you are going to enter in the pie baking contest Saturday, September 21 at 10:00am at First Place Bank.  The first place prize is $25.00, second place is $15.00 and third place is $10.00.  Bragging rights – priceless!  For more information call (440) 324-2000. 

City of Elyria Employees Going Above & Beyond 

Elyria citizens have recently called or email me to tell me about the following employees who have gone above and beyond to provide outstanding service to them.  We are very proud to have these individuals as part of our team. 

Cindy called to tell us that she is a lifelong East Pool user and she wants us to know how awesome the lifeguards have been this year in managing the growing number of children and youth using the facilities- especially guards Tyler, John, Melissa and Ivy!

Rena called to thank the City and Kevin Brubaker for the aggressive approach on the housing demolitions in her neighborhood.  She said: “I cannot begin to express the tremendous physical relief I feel throughout my mind and body to look at open space and lovely trees instead of trash and disrepair.” 

Dennis and Patricia wrote to thank Safety Service Director Mary Siwierka for her help in getting a guardrail installed.  “After 20 years of living in Elyria someone at the top extended a hands-on approach to this matter.  You have been helpful in other ways too, thank you again,” they wrote. 

Wes wrote to compliment the fire department.  “Saturday morning I was awakened to a fire in my attic and the fire department was here in two minutes and saved my house from total loss and saved my life as well.  They even stopped by today to see if I needed any help.  My hats off to our safety forces.  A job well done.”

Bryan, a resident of Westlake wrote to express his appreciation to an Elyria firefighter.  Here is what he had to say.  “Over the weekend I was at a restaurant on the Vermilion River having dinner with my wife where I eventually passed out due to heat exhaustion from being out on the lake all day fishing.  When I came to, I saw a man hovering over me helping me through the situation with his wife.  He said he was a fireman from Elyria named Rick and his wife Lisa was a nurse.  They both proceeded to monitor me until the EMT’s showed up and moved me to a hospital for further testing.  My wife and I are extremely grateful for the help from Rick and Lisa.”

Many more to come……

Here are a few photos I took at some recent summer events downtown.  As always, if you can't see the slideshow, click below to view the whole album. 



Summer Activities