It’s been five years since we’ve been able to go over the river and through the woods……but that all changed in Elyria today, November 15 with the grand opening of the new, grant-funded $3.1 million Ford Road Bridge. The new two-lane, 263 foot bridge is located just north of the old bridge and was re-positioned to improve alignment with the Lorain County MetroPark entrance to the north and the hill on the south.
Funded by funds from the Ohio Department of Transportation and the Ohio Public Works Commission, the scenic gateway and short-cut to the Midway Mall area from Elyria’s north side will improve access to commercial areas, Bur Oak Park and residents who live in the area.
This new structure is a much-needed improvement from the previous one-lane bridge that was closed to traffic in December 2008 due to deteriorating conditions. The old bridge was a pony truss built in 1953. The new bridge is 33 feet wide and is built with a clearance elevation above the Black River to withstand a 100 year rain event.
The city of Elyria would like to thank the following individuals and organizations for making this important project a reality:
- City of Elyria Engineering Department – with special thanks to engineer Tim Ujvari and John Schneider, asst. city engineer
- Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) District 3
- Ohio Public Works Commission
- Lorain County Engineer
- Transystems, Project Design Consultant
- KS Associates, Survey and Right of Way
- JD Williamson, Contractor
- K.E. McCartney, Construction Management
- Lorain County MetroParks
- Elyria City Council
If you haven’t already seen the spectacular view from the new bridge, please come check it out. Enjoy the fall foliage and the drive through this beautiful area of our community.
Videos and a slideshow of the ceremony are below: